Sunday, May 31, 2009

Kid trouble?

Hey, this is Rachelle and I thought I would give you all some kid tips cause after moving my kids all over the country and having no real schedule or stability I thought I was going to lose my mind. My kids were not picking up their toys and throwing fits and bed time was... well, hell! So after getting settled in to our new place and discussing things with my husband we decided to make some changes. I got an idea from my friend Vanessa over at V and Co. after a few tweaks to make it work for my family we got the ball rolling!


First, I created chore charts for both my kids. You can go here for a free down loadable chart. They are 6 and 4 so there chores are basic and I wanted to make sure they would help clean rather than make a bigger mess for me to clean.

The chores I chose are for Madalyn (6)are:

  • Make the beds (her and her brothers)
  • Feed Guinea Pigs
  • Clean bathroom (pick up clothes and clean the counter off)
  • Brush teeth
The chores I chose for Preston (4) are:
  • Clean up toy in their bedroom
  • Feed Dogs
  • Clear the table after breakfast and lunch
  • Brush teeth
Now for each chore they earn a chip. These chips are valuable and are used to pay for privileges. We also have a behavior chart that can cause them to lose chips
  • Throw a fit or talk back they lose 1 chip
  • Bite or hit they lose 2 chips
  • Don't go to bed when asked they lose 1 chip

For the rewards we chose things that the kids enjoy but that we wanted to limit their time on.

  • 5 chips buy you 30 min of computer time
  • 5 chips and you can stay up an extra 10 min when it is bed time
  • 10 chips gets you a toy from the dollar store
  • 5 chips gets you an extra dessert
We then got some jars from Wal Mart and I let the kids decorate them while I explained how the chore and behavior charts were going to work. I made it very clear what was expected of them so that when something happened and I had to take a chip away they wouldn't be screaming that they didn't know they weren't suppose to be doing it.














We have been using this system for 2 weeks and it has worked wonders. My kids are picking up their toys and making their beds and putting their dishes in the sink. When it comes to throwing fits, I take away a chip and they stop screaming right away. Every night before bed we go over the chart and I hand out chips for chores that have been completed. They get so excited when they earn all there chips. I have also been giving out chips for good behavior through out the day. If they say something nice or I see them cleaning up after themselves without being asked they get extra chips. So far this has been a win win situation.

So, if you are losing you mind like I was give it a try and hopefully it will help!

-Rachelle

No comments:

Post a Comment